This is not a difficult trail and is perfect for all ages and levels of fitness. It was a perfect trail to introduce a non-hiker to.
About 36km’s outside Clanwilliam on the road to Calvinia, do yourself the favour of pulling over at Traveller’s Rest. They have a 4,7km out and back trail that is delightful. You pay R40.00 at the restaurant and it is worth every cent as they also give you a pamphlet with more info on each site. From here you head out to the other side of the weir and follow the white footprints. This is not a difficult trail and is perfect for all ages and levels of fitness. It was a perfect trail to introduce a non-hiker to.
Tips for this hike:
- Make sure you have enough water to rehydrate as it does get hot here.
- Have a cap/hat with you.
- Pack a light towel as you will definitely swim.
- Pack a light lunch, great for a picnic either at the river or one of the art sites.
- Binoculars to find the animals & birds.
Please DO NOT…
- TOUCH the paintings
- SPRAY WATER or LIQUID on the paintings
- DUST the paintings with any object/cloth
- There are 9 sites along the trail that have some stunning rock art dating back between 800 and 8000 years. One of the sites has depictions of animals that look very much like dinosaurs.
For more info on this trail email
Did you know: The Cederberg is classified as a wildnerness area which means one can pitch a tent most anywhere and do a spot of wild camping. On some farms you will pay a nominal fee but if you plan to hike into the wildnerness you literally find a cave/overhang and make that your overnight stop. Look out for my upcoming article on wild camping along with tips; do’s & dont’s.